Another chilly November day, another Google My Business update! If you’re utilizing the Google My Business direct messaging feature (which you should!) you will want to pay attention to this update.
Watch my video to get all the details:
Do You Have A Google My Business Listing?
If your answer is ‘no,’ you need to do it today! It’s a FREE tool that any and every business should be utilizing.
Once you have claimed your Google My Business listing, you can manage your presence on Google, which includes Search and Maps. You can edit your business hours (especially special hours during holidays), keep your business info up-to-date and add photos and videos. You can also respond to reviews and make it easy for customers to contact you by simply tapping the phone icon to call or sending a direct message.
How do you access your Google My Business listing? Get step-by-step instruction right here>>>
How to Use Google My Business Messaging
To continue receiving direct messages from customers or to get started, you will need to download the Google My Business app and set up messaging. Here’s how to set it up:
- Download the Google My Business app from the App Store or Google Play on your smartphone or tablet.
- Log into your Google My Business account.
- Once you are logged in, tap the ‘Customers’ icon.
- Select the ‘Messages’ icon.
- Tap ‘Turn on messaging.’
- Finally, add your custom welcome message.
That’s it! You can now receive direct messages from your listing viewers! Double-check to be sure your notifications are turned on for this app.
When a viewer sends you a direct message, you will get a notification on your device. When you send a message back to the viewer, it will show as a text message on their end. All messages can be viewed and responded to on the ‘Messages’ screen on your app (where the two people speaking icons are located in the image above).
Direct Messaging Best Practices
Now that you’re all set-up, let’s talk best practices. To be successful with this feature, you must:
- Be responsive. Similar to Facebook Business Pages, your response time to messages is being calculated by Google. This response time will be posted on your listing so viewers can determine whether or not it’s beneficial to send a message. If a message is not responded to in 24 hours, Google will turn off your messaging feature. In summary, respond to your messages as quickly as possible.
- Turn off messaging if you will not be able to respond right away. Turning off the messaging feature is just as easy as turning it on. If you plan to go on vacation or will not be able to respond to messages for a while, it’s best practice to turn off the feature until you can resume answering messages. To turn off the feature, follow steps 1-4 above, select the three dots in the right-hand corner, select ‘messaging settings,’ and then toggle the ‘Turn on messaging’ to off.
- Do not give or ask for sensitive information through messages. This information includes credit card numbers, social security numbers, login credentials, etc. Keeping your’s and your customer’s information safe should be top of mind while utilizing this feature.
This messaging feature is just another great way for you and your customers to connect via Google search! As with anything Google, features are bound to change and new features are sure to pop up.
Do you want to be “in the know” of breaking news such as this? Be sure to subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter, Essential Strategies, to stay informed and learn new ways to keep growing your business and staying connected with your customers.