AI in marketing is no longer a trend. It’s here to stay.
In fact, the hottest AI language tool, ChatGPT, reached 100 million monthly active users in just two months – making it the fastest-growing consumer application in history. ChatGTP, developed by Open AI, can respond to a wide variety of questions and generate content on various topics and in multiple forms in just seconds.
While this AI tool and many other AI tools yet to be released will continue to amaze us, they are simply that – tools.
And that is how our team at Marketing Essentials views ChatGPT. It is a tool, AKA a writing aid.
We believe AI won’t replace content writers and marketers, but we do believe those who use AI ethically can be more efficient and even use it to propel their creativity further. As creatives, we each have our own process for how we spark that fire when writing a campaign message or designing a new website. You may look at artistic imagery, go for a walk, listen to positive music or doodle. Maybe now, you’ll add an AI tool to that list.
While an AI tool can be a starting point, great marketing needs human oversight. Marketers need to know the product features and brand voice inside and out. Subject matter experts are your product’s validation and must have a voice in content. No machine can do that.
We believe in the power of authentic human content. Words have the power to inspire and effect change. Great writing and creativity come from experiences, emotions, curiosity and imagination. No machine can do that, either.
AI is a tool in the toolbox.
Our agency's core values are trust, quality and innovation, and we take all three seriously. Therefore, we have adopted these principles to explain how we’re using artificial intelligence to push our efficiency and creativity even further. We will evolve these principles as AI continues to advance.
Marketing Essentials AI Principals:
- We believe in the responsible design, development, deployment and operation of AI technologies.
- We believe in a human-centered approach to AI that empowers and augments professionals. AI technologies should be assistive, not autonomous.
- We believe that humans remain accountable for all decisions and actions, even when assisted by AI. The human must remain in the loop in all AI applications.
- We believe in the critical role of human knowledge, experience, emotion, and imagination in creativity, and we seek to explore and promote emerging career paths and opportunities for creative professionals.
- We believe in the power of language, images and videos to educate, influence, and affect change. We commit to never knowingly use generative AI technology to deceive; to produce content for the sole benefit of financial gain; or to spread falsehoods, misinformation, disinformation, or propaganda.
- We believe in understanding the limitations and dangers of AI, and considering those factors in all of our decisions and actions.
- We believe that transparency in data collection and AI usage is essential in order to maintain the trust of our audiences and stakeholders.
- We believe in personalization without invasion of privacy, including strict adherence to data privacy laws, mitigation of privacy risks for consumers, and following our moral compass when legal precedent lags behind AI innovation.
These guidelines were adapted based on a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license from the Marketing AI Institute.